George has tried, arbitrated and resolved disputes with results of up to $47 million in California, Washington, D.C., Massachusetts, New York and other states, as well as Mexico. He serves as a mediator for the United States District Court for the Northern District of California and as a judge-pro-tem and neutral for San Francisco and San Mateo County Superior Courts. From 1989 through 2001, George was a faculty member and co-chair of the Hastings College of Advocacy, Business Litigation Institute, where top attorneys from across the country came to hone their trial and courtroom skills.
- Successfully tried to jury verdict a contract dispute on behalf of government agency. The two-month trial was the culmination of a four-year dispute that included four different lawsuits, including one for $800 million, and three bankruptcy proceedings.
- Successfully arbitrated and then mediated trust dispute over 51% ownership interests in businesses with over $75 million annual revenue. The dispute involved two lawsuits, two arbitrations and a mediation over the course of four years. The client obtained his majority interest and was able to carry out his plans for the businesses.
- Successfully defeated a $1 million mechanics lien for homeowners and obtained a settlement under which the contractor reimbursed some of the construction funds. The dispute included several lawsuits by subcontractors and a separate interpleader of funds by a municipality. The clients benefitted by being freed of the claims and lien against their residence, as well as obtaining compensation from the contractor. The contractor subsequently pled guilty to three felonies which arose out of his conduct in the lawsuit.
- Successfully tried a fraudulent conveyance claim against an associate of a Ponzi scheme operator, resulting in a $1.7 million judgment.
- Successfully resolved a dispute against a major New York publisher over a buy-out contract with a result in excess of $47 million without filing a lawsuit.
- Successfully defended a business owner from ERISA pension fund claims in excess of $1 million. The owner was not required to pay anything on the claims.
- Successfully obtained ERISA disability coverage worth close to $1 million for architect of multinational firm who was denied coverage after becoming a paraplegic.
- J.D., University of California, Davis
- B.A., with High Honors, University of California, Santa Barbara
- United States District Court, Northern District of California Mediator and ENE Neutral
- San Francisco County Superior Court, Judge Pro Tem and Neutral
- San Mateo County Superior Court, Judge Pro Tem and Neutral
- California Lawyers Association (former Sections of the State Bar of California), Litigation Section Executive Committee, Chair
- San Mateo County Bar Association, Former President and Board Member
- Conference of Delegates
- Business/Business Litigation Section, Member and Former Chair
- Employment/Labor Law Section, Co-Founder and Former Chair
- Conference of California Bar Associations, Former CFO and Board Member
- Hastings College of Advocacy, Business Litigation Institute, Former Co-Chair and Faculty Member (1989- 2001)
- American Bar Association
Civic and Charitable
- Burlingame Aquatic Center, Board Member
- Hillsborough AYSO, Former Board Member and Current Referee
- Hillsborough Schools Foundation, Community Outreach Committee Member, Former President, Board Member and Underwriting Committee Member
- Arthritis Foundation, San Mateo County Advisory Board, Former CFO and Board Member
Honors and Awards
- AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell
- Nothern California SuperLawyer 2020
- Michael Spielberg Award | Hillsborough AYSO 2014
- Pfeiffer Award | Conference of California Bar Associations 2011
- Volunteer of the Year Award | Arthritis Foundation 1998
- Eric Award | Hillsborough Schools Foundation 1999